1. The effect that advertising has on our society may be subtle, and most of us remain unaware of how it mould us to meet the needs of competing companies.
解析：the effect后接定语从句；advertising意为广告业、广告总称，advertisement意为一则广告；subtle意为微妙的；and后接并列句；remain unaware of意为没意识到，常有be unaware of；of how...后接宾语从句；meet the needs意为满足需求，meet相当于satisfy，need相当于demand, requirement。
2. As a result, what seems to be good for the economy begins to backfire because advertising from competing companies may mislead consumers deeply into credit card debts which they could not afford to pay before the deadline.
解析：as a result意为因此，相当于therefore，thus，hence，consequently。What seems to be good for the economy为主语从句；backfire意为适得其反；because后接原因状语从句；mislead意为误导；debts which...后接定语从句；afford the pay意为负担得起。
3. Accordingly, some proactive methods are suggested to be applied.
解析：accordingly意为相应地，因此；proactive意为积极主动的；be suggested意为被推崇；be applied意为被运用。
4. One effective approach is to establish and impose a strict censorship aiming advertising on mass media.
解析：approach意为方法；be to do sth意为去做某事；and后接并列结构；impose a strict censorship意为建立严格的审查制度；aim意为指向。
5. Consequently, various actions should be taken by the government, TV station and website managers to reduce these negative impacts and protect the rights of consumers.
解析：consequently意为因此，常用于因果论证；be taken by意为被采纳；reduce these negative impacts意为减少其负面影响；protect the rights of consumers意为保护消费者的权利。